Thursday, July 14, 2011

Beaches and boring trenches

On Sunday I made plans to go to the beach with Kathryn and Katie and I invited my roommate Catherine along. We all met at Pyramide which is where the train station is. There aresomething like 6 trains which all go to the same place - being the Ostia beaches. There was some confusion with the meeting up; one reasong being Kathryn and Katie don't have phones with them another being I mis-estimated the walking time for tem by about 20 minutes so I was waiting wondering if they had died in the street or something. when we all finally did meet up we got our train tickets and were on our way.

Despite there being 6 trains, they're all crowded as heck. always. Between the four of us we managed to snag 2 seats so if one of us got tired of standing (it's a 40 minute ride) we could switch off. The train ride was pretty uneventful, the usual awkward trying not to bang into your neighbor when the train stops and starts and avoiding staring at the couple making out next to you. (public displays of affection are the norm in Rome apparently, ew)

Ince we arrived at Cristopho Colombo, the last stop, we waited for the number 7mare bus (another lovely crowded form of public transportation. and headed for the same brach gate that we went to two weeks ago.

We rented beach umbrellas sold by some tanned muscular Italian men in speedos, the guy taking the money had a gucci fanny pack for it, so stereotypically italian metro. we sat near their stand - not a bad view although a little far from the water; which is made worse by the fact that to get to the water you have to brave the scalding hot sand. It's actually hilarious getting there for a swim you psych yourself up and sprint there (likely yelling ouch a lot) trying to walk in the shade of other peoples' umbrellas.

Despite the pain, the beach was amazing, we lay out a read and swam and chatted. Catherine and I were stupid and tried to even the tan on our legs and just ended up with pretty painful sunburns (go us).

We left the beach around 3 because Catherine and I had to go to Darius' house for a meeting/pizza. But I made plans with Kathryn and Katie for later in the week.

Monday I was assigned to the pottery lab which means that I spent the entire day with my hands in a bucket of water washing off the finds from the previous day. Everyone always complains about being in finds but I actually enjoy it like I enjoyed being in the mag last summer. I got a chance to see all the types of things that the site contains and we had a lecture on their identification which will be helpful in the field. Knowing what I'm looking for will definitely help me with the question "Pottery or Rock"

Really not much to report about the day in pottery we just spent 8 hours monotonously brushing sherds with nail brushes and tooth brushes, bones just get dry brushed.

After work I met up with Kathryn and Katie, I was an hour and a half late because of Roman public transportation. the route 3 was 20 minutes late and when it finally arrived it was actually too packed for anyone to fit on it, perople were crammed in so tightly that the doors had trouble closing. So a few minutes later another bus, route 75 came and the sign said it stopped at the Colosseo stop which is the colosseum metro station and conveniently close to the appartment that Catherine and Katie are staying in.

Once I arrived I assumed that I knew where I was going, it's only a couple minute walk but then I took a wrong turn (roman roads are weird) and realized I didn't have my map. 10 minutes later I finally found their front door. Since I had called them to tell them I'd be ages they'd already eaten but I had their yummy leftovers then Kathryn and I went for gelato and to pick up snacks before we all sat down to watch Eat, Pray, Love. A lovely relaxing night!

Tuesday I was back in the trench again. I had the most boring and hot day yet. (this week is supposed to have record temperatures, no fun.) I was assigned to a large SU with Sam and Evan and since the stratigraphy is weird in that area we were just told to trowel down until we saw a change.

It was a pretty frustrating day because there were often changes but they never lasted in a layer, they just showed up and dissapeared, Evan, Sam and I just spent the day complaining about dirt colors. Evan and Sam actually did find some cool pieces of pottery and Evan's part of the SU had a hearth feature but mine was barren but for about 12 pot sherds. exciting.

At lunch we were supprised with ice cream which was delightful but the day was ruined by the fact that it had gone up about a million degrees after lunch. it was so hot that we could barely be productive, not that there was really any progress to make in my area. I've taken to calling it Dante's 9th circle.

My evening was pretty low key since the day was so exhausting. supper, facebook, blogging and bed at 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment